Thursday, June 8, 2017

Why we never have to feel lost


A while ago I was on Facebook and I saw something that made me sad. Someone I know who is sick, announced that they were going to try something new for their treatments and said they hoped it was right path. It just seemed like a shot in the dark. Like trying to get to the end of a maze with your eyes closed. Like trying to get to the end of a maze that your life literally depended on...with your eyes closed. Mostly I just pictured a person standing in the middle of a maze with like six different paths and trying to pick the best one. Is everyone sick of me talking about mazes? haha

ANYWAYS. I thought back to all my most important decisions. I have never made one alone. With some of those decisions, I have picked a path according to my own knowledge or choice. Or according to advice from people I know or love. Or according to what I thought would give me the best outcome. But doing that alone would be like standing in the middle of a maze and randomly picking a path. So with those hard decisions, first I picked, then I prayed. Then I started walking. This is not to say that I think we should be completely sedentary until Heavenly Father tells us what to do. I remember reading something about when President Eyring visited the missionaries in the MTC. One of his most-asked questions was something like "How do I know if what I'm doing is right?" And President Eyring said- you just get off the couch and start doing something! You will feel if it's right. If it's not, redirect. 


I have thought about that so much in my life. There are lots of decisions I just make, obviously. But some decisions I can confidently admit I just don't have the knowledge for. I don't know the big picture. Like who I should marry. I needed to feel right about that. Or big questions about our family or about McKay's job. Or how to be a better mom to my kids. Or what is smart medically to do to my body. There are just some things I don't know. I need help. I need further "light and knowledge." And when I saw that on Facebook I was so grateful for all the experiences in my life that have guided me to the knowledge I have now of a Heavenly Father. I am His daughter. I am on the earth but not alone. Things here are hard sometimes. We need help and we can get it. I wish everyone on the earth knew that and felt that. It makes me sad to see people around me feeling sad or lost or hopeless. Life doesn't have to be like that. We never have to feel lost. 


"We were not placed on this earth to walk alone. What an amazing source of power, of strength, and of comfort is available to each of us. He who knows us better than we know ourselves, He who sees the larger picture and who knows the end from the beginning, has assured us that He will be there for us to provide help if we but ask. We have the promise: 'Pray always, and be believing, and all things shall work together for your good.” 

-President Thomas S. Monson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...